Complete coverage from end to end. For more than 50 years, Donaldson has been a leading supplier of exhaust systems, components and accessories for medium and heavy-duty diesel powered equipment. Our exhaust system product line includes everything you need for a wide variety of on- and off-road applications.
Muffler Design & Performance
Donaldson mufflers are designed and tested with a specific focus three performance variables. Be sure to select a system or replacement parts that are right for your application.
- Refers to the reduction in sound level measured between an engine without a muffler – and the same engine with a muffler
- Measured in the decibel scale (dBAs)
- Traditional mufflers use tubes, baffles, expansion chambers and insulation to control noise
- New applications include emissions control devices
- Engine manufacturers generally expect engine exhaust sound reductions of 15-25 dBA
- The EPA also regulates noise levels
- Refers to the force necessary to flow gases through the exhaust system, or the resistance to flow
- Excessive backpressure can reduce horsepower and fuel economy
- To promote efficient engine performance, minimization of backpressure is very important
- It's important to minimize system friction and momentum effects – expansion, contraction, elbows and velocity head loss at outlet
- Our muffler specifications offer suggestions for proper selection to reduce backpressure
- Structural durability of systems and components is also very important
- Variables to consider include position, mounting support, weight and material type
- For example, if an OE specifies a particular system, and you install a heavier system (such as an emissions control device), its critical that you upgrade hangers, brackets and stanchions with more robust components that can support the added weight.
- Most exhaust system problems seen by our field service techs are due to improper bracketing or use of clamps – rather than issues with muffler construction.
- On-road trucks
- Off-road vehicles and equipment
- Low back pressure for better fuel economy and efficient engine performance
- Corrosion resistant materials for long service life
- Mufflers for every budget – with good, better and best alternatives
- Seven inlet/outlet styles in both aluminized and stainless steel
- Many different configurations to fit/adapt to your vehicle/equipment
- High temperature paint available on select models
- A full offering of accessories to make sure your exhaust system fits and is mounted properly – clamps, hangers, connectors, tubing, tailpipes and all associated components